Heart Rubies are a collectible item in Phoenotopia. When one is found, Gale holds it over her head and a textbox reads, "You found a Heart Ruby. Your heart beats a little more rigorously." Afterwards, the player is fully healed and their maximum health increases by 3. There are 23 of them in the game, which brings the max health up to 89 when all are collected. You need to collect all the Heart Rubies in order to access the ???? area.
They return in Phoenotopia Awakening with the exact same function, but are now called Heart Gems.
A Heart Ruby is a red heart-shaped stone with carved edges that is somewhat bigger than a regular consumable item. When hitting the floor it produces a resonant crystal sound. Its nature is not clear in the game, as it behaves like a regular object, except when grabbed by Gale. Places where they can be found vary in nature and in some cases, they can be heavily secured. They are also given as a reward for defeating a boss, aside from Thomas's Robot, the Computer Guardian, and the Forest Robot.
- Kiter’s room, at the top of the orphanage
- An old room in the Ruins
- After defeating the Monster Toad
- Hachiko has one in Sunflower Road
- The eastern side of Atai Bridge
- Albert has one
- Encoded room in Bandits’ Lair
- Building between Bandits’ Lair and Atai
- After defeating Bubbles
- Over a flower’s leaf in the Misty Gorge
- Crossroads’ storehouse
- Daea’s bar’s storehouse
- One of section A’s cells in the jail.
- After defeating the Kobold General
- The tower next to the prince’s.
- Fran gives you one in her lab
- A secret room in the Walls
- An ancient vault in the Dreadlands
- A small cave in Mul Cavern, left from the save spot inside the caves
- Fran gives you another one in the Hidden Village
- Heart Rubies were originally called ‘Heart Gems’ and were silver-colored with an ornament strapped around them.
- In Phoenotopia Awakening, they go back to being called Heart Gems, but keep the red color they had in the first game.
- Aside from the ones you get from bosses, all Heart Rubies require the use of at least one tool to obtain them.
- Adar's House, Thomas' Lab, Farmer's Block, Forgotten Forest, Ancient's Crater, and the Phoenix Lab are the only locations in the game that don't have Heart Rubies.
- Thomas's Robot, the Computer Guardian, and the Forest Robot are the only bosses in the game that don't give Heart Rubies upon being defeated.